The World of Lexica
The World of Lexica, a tablet-based game, is an action-RPG style experience for young teens that introduces them to an imaginative, book-themed world where literary characters emerge from their stories to accompany them on a new and exciting adventure. Players explore the world as a Curioso, a magical creature that represents the player’s own curiosity. They are joined by classic book characters such as Cheshire Cat, Frankenstein’s Monster, and John Henry, as they cross paths with the likes of Baba Yaga and Mr. Hyde. By making book characters part of the player’s own adventure, Lexica hopes to draw interest to their original stories, which in turn, can be found at the touch of a fingertip in Lexica’s accompanying eReader. The game’s primary goal is to foster a passion for reading while seamlessly bridging the gap between gameplay and learning.
This article from USA Today explores the ways in which this game encourages students to read the classics.
The World of Lexica took home Gold at the 2015 International Serious Play Awards and was the winner in the Entertainment, Film and Digital Media category at the 2015 CREATE Festival. It has been named an Editor’s Choice by the Children’s Technology Review.
Watch the trailer!
Here are some great quotes from students who are playing the game…
- “Lexica is my favorite game of all time. When I see the boys in my class playing their action games, I’m like, ‘How do you guys do that?’ But when I started playing Lexica, I was like, ‘I could get used to this. I could play this every day.’”
- “You learn things you didn’t know before… The learning is worth it once you play Lexica.”
- “I personally do play at home because I’m really interested in getting to the next level and it’s fascinating to me.”
- “The setting makes it seem like a video game instead of just a book reading game.”
- “I play at home so I can get ahead in the game and help other people when we play in class.”
To learn more, check out Amplify’s website.